Monday, April 14, 2008

"Old Mees Power" by G-force


So I'm going to pretend that people actually read this blog and live by the "If you blog it they will come" way of thinking. This was quite the musical weekend for me. I had the pleasure of seeing Old Money, Jared Mees and the Grown Children, and Cat Power all in the span of a single weekend!
Let me start by admitting that I am not a music crtic nor do I claim to be one. I just like music so if your going to be all pissy about my comparisons or how I describe a performance too bad, but hey thanks for stopping by.
Friday night I went to the Old Money ( http://www.myspace.com/oldmoneygals ) show at Ash St.( www.ashstreetsaloon.com )and as always the lovely ladies keep getting better and better. However they were not the Fem Five that they usually are. Sans Chipper the girls called in the Bass stylings of Jared Mees to pitch hit while she was out of town. They delivered a great performance with a sound reminiscent the likes of Rilo Kiley or Cowboy Junkies yet still maintaining an identinty that is purely their own. Oh yeah and they are always the best dressed band in Portland. ( apart from Sexy Pants)
Saturday night Jared Mees and the Grown Childrens semi-acoustic set at the Funky Church ( www.funkychurch.com) was a welcome breath of fresh air after I had my mind violated by "Cannibal Holocaust" at the Hollywood theater. Jareds cleverly woven lyrics and hard to ignore staged presence is wonderfully complimented by the soulful sound of Meghan Spears and her magic tambourine. Not to mention Jordan Dykstra's skillful viola contribution rounds out this heavy hitting trios rock injected blue grass sound. I wasn't too sure about Jordan's move from behind the kit to the viola but mark my words Portland we haven't begun to witness the shear genius acts this kid has yet to commit.Check them out at http://www.myspace.com/jaredmees .
Lastly, I have a crush on Chan Marshal! Who wouldn't her voice is hypnotizing and as the songbird of Cat Power she makes everyone stand in awe and utter to the rafters "Chan be thy name!". All except the dipshit that sat behind me. The dude kept yelling out nonsense and awkwardly dancing with the girl he was with. A part of me wanted to pop him in the face but I couldn't look away from the stage. The band was amazing each musician playing their perspective instruments flawlessly. The show ended with the longest outro I've ever heard. After which an equally impressive encore intro followed by four additional songs! I wasn't complaining but you could tell the band was visibly tired by the end of it. In the end it was a really good show and I would definitely like to see Chan Marshal again.  Some people just have the ability to hypnotize you and this girl definitely has it.

2 comments:

finn riggins said...

sounds like a radical weekend... wishin we could share more of these moments with our pdx family. nice to get a glimps from afar though... thnks mr. g-force.

luv
gilbert

Unknown said...

Am I allowed to post links here? Sam, you have to check out the whacked interview between Chan Marshal and Ian Svenonius of the old D.C. punk band Nation of Ulysses...
http://www.vbs.tv/video.php?id=564610646